They say, "tidy house, tidy mind". If you spend your time in a cluttered space, chances are you have a cluttered mind.
But how can objects really effect your brain and why do we have clutter in the first place? No matter how tidy of a person you are, everyone has cluttered areas in their home.
Various studies have shown that a cluttered environment contributes to increased levels of cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone released by the adrenal glands. It's important for helping your body deal with stressful situations, as your brain triggers its release in response to many kinds of stress.
So how can you go about decluttering our space and increasing our peace of mind? Try these simple, practical solutions:
• If the clutter is at home, work as a team to clean and reorganize. Most likely, the clutter involves a combination of everyone’s belongings. Try not to move to another space until the previous one is finished.
• When cleaning, create a space for items you want to keep, throw away, donate or recycle. Follow through and learn to let go of items you no longer need.
• Create a designated spot for all your items. Once you are finished with something, put it back right away in its rightful spot.
• Start small. Focus on cleaning out your kitchen cupboard. Don’t worry about your messy closet or your cluttered garage. Focus on one thing at a time and work on it until it’s achieved. Once finished, you can tackle the next task.
• Sometimes clutter doesn’t involve just physical items. You can have a cluttered desktop, cellphone etc. too! Remove files and other items that aren’t being used.
• Write down your to-do list instead of storing it in your brain. This way, you can create an action plan and tackle those things that are weighing heavily on your mind, first.
• Practice some form of meditation. This can help with increasing focus and motivation. Increase your level of insight regarding new habits and see how the mess can be avoided in the future.
• Take daily action instead of having a spring cleaning mindset. This way, you can ensure you will have a positive environment all year long.
Don’t wait, start taking these steps today! Kick off 2018 with a clearer, more stable mind by decluttering your most cluttered spaces!